My sisters and I are participating in a 21 day fix challenge from Beachbody this month so I thought I would review the challenge for you guys and let you know what I think about the workouts. Our challenge began on January 5th, but I have already tried out all the workouts previously.
The first workout of the series is The Total Body Cardio Fix workout so let me tell you all about it.
Workout – Total Body Cardio Fix
- Length – 28:40
- Equipment needed
- Dumbbell or resistance band
- Mini Mat (optional)
- Water and towel
- Adequate space to jump around
- Trainer – Autumn Calabrese
- She is a celebrity fitness trainer and a national level bikini competitor
- Personal trainer certification from NASM and AFPA
- She is a fitness specialist for http://www.ModernMom.com
- Workouts featured in many magazines and TV Shows
- Inspirational quote of workout: 1 day at a time, 1 pound at a time
The workout starts with a quick warm up, and the warm up is the same for all the workouts in the series. She does two rounds of 5 moves for a total of 3 minutes.
- Jog in place
- Jumping jacks
- Make sure no T-Rex arms!
- Big arm circles in both directions
- Overhead stretch (to both sides)
- Reach over top and sink into the left leg. Take forearm to the quad. No rest before you go to the other side.
- Hamstring Stretch
- Toes forward arms out and reach over and across to your opposite toe
- The warm up is very quick and easy to follow, but does get you warm and your heart rate starts rising. At any point of the workout you can look at Kat for modifications if you aren’t able to perform the move as Autumn shows it. If you have to modify the warm up (or workout) you will still get your heart rate up and cause you to sweat.
- The second time through she asks you to up the intensity and go a little bit faster or push a little deeper. So far I find her motivating. Some people complain about her voice and saying “yah” too much but I didn’t notice this and was paying attention to how awesome she looks instead!
Total Body Cardio Fix
The workout consists of 4 rounds made up of 2 exercises which last 1 minute each and have a 20 second break in between. For this type of workout you go at your own pace there is no set number of reps that you have to perform instead you go until you can’t do anymore.Round 1
- Surrenders (On Right)
- Load weights up on shoulders and go down onto your right knee and then your left knee. Then stand up on your right and then left foot.
- This is the move that you will need the mat for. I don’t have a mat like they use in the video so I grab a pillow off of my couch and use that instead. This exercise is tough on the knees especially if you are performing it on hard wood floors.
- She talks about this being the toughest exercise but you shouldn’t get discouraged she puts it in the very beginning so that you have lots of energy to perform it, and remember you go at your own speed and if you need to modify look at what Kat is doing.
- Side Shuffles (To the Right)
- Shuffle twice to the right get low and touch the floor. Then Shuffle twice to the left and touch the floor.
- For this you might have to push things out of your way or rearrange your living room/workout area
- “Come on Cameron spread your legs, show me, push, let’s go” She might want to think about rephrasing this sentence lol!
- Repeat round 1 to opposite directions
- Squat to a wood chop (Right)
- Holding a weight in your hands on either side squat down the center taking the weight to your right toe. Drive up and pivot your right toe as you twist to the left. Power off your right leg.
- Multiple body parts worked. This move works the legs, core, arms, back.
- I think this is the move that I feel the most the next day. It really does work all of your body and I feel it in my back and shoulders as well as my abs and legs!
- Cross Country Skiers
- Holding the weight in your hands on either side jump split the legs and bring the weight up and split the legs while bringing the weights down. Have a slight bend forward.
- No T-Rex arms here! Check out Tomek’s shirt so cute!
- I find I have no coordination for this move so I often have to go to the modifier and tap it out quickly instead.
- Repeat Round 2 to opposite directions
- Weighted Jog
- Hold a weight in both hands on either side. Start jogging in place and then drive hands out straight in front of you and then bring it back in.
- I like Tomek one of the background people who says “Done is his favorite word”
- Weighted knee pulls (Right)
- Hold the weight in both hands on either side above your head and put your right leg back putting all the weight on the left leg. Drive the knee in and then extend it back.
- You can definitely get your heart rate up after this move
- “Strength doesn’t come from what you can do, but comes from what you thought you couldn’t do!”
- Repeat Round 3 on the opposite side
- Frog Crunches
- Get down onto the ground and laying on your back put your feet in the air and turn everything out (your feet and legs) as you crunch up draw your knees into your chest then press away.
- Make sure you aren’t pulling on your neck and breathe out when you crunch up
- You can take legs more parallel to the ground for a more intense option.
- Oblique Crunches
- Left foot on the right knee, right hand by ear and left arm out by the side. Crunch and cross. This one is a little different you have 30 seconds on one side then you switch sides without any rest and finish the last 30 seconds on the other side.
- Reach for the knee without pulling it in.
- She does mention that you should track how many reps you have done of the ab workouts so that when you repeat you can try to beat what you did in the first round.
- Repeat Round 4
- Modified Cobra
- Flip onto your stomach and stretch out your abs by putting your hands under your shoulders and lift up towards the ceiling.
- Child’s pose
- Open knees up wide while sinking your booty down on to heels and reach fingers out in front of you
- Walk hands around to the right side press left glute down onto left heel and repeat on the left side
- Hamstring Stretch
- Sit down and straighten legs in front of you reach for your feet
- Thigh stretch
- Bring the soles of your feet together and lean forward and push the knees down with your elbows
- Open legs wide and stretch forward trying to lay your head on the floor in front of you
- Walk your hands over to the right and reach for right leg and repeat on the opposite side
- Shoulder stretch
- Bring your Left arm over to the right side and hold. Repeat on opposite side
- Chest Stretch
- Bring arms behind back and interlace the fingers and pull down
- Quad Stretch
- Stand up and grab the right foot towards your booty. Repeat on the other side
- Inhale with arms up
- Workout completed!
- I enjoyed this workout I was able to burn about 250 calories in one 30 minute session
- This is the toughest workout of the series so if you can get through it you won’t have any issues with the rest of the challenge
- Music – I didn’t mind the background music it is generic, but everyone song has a nice beat and helps you get through the moves.
- Set – Just like all the beachbody workouts they have a nice looking set. They know how to make production value a priority.
- Background exercisers – I like the people in the background. Kat is the modifier and she seems so excited to be there. She is actually the modifier in all of the videos. She always has a big smile on her face and is saying something positive and cheering on her fellow exercisers. My favorite in this video is Tomek he is funny and cute make sure to check out his shirt it’s adorable J
- Autumn – I find she is quite motivational always reminding you to breathe and push as hard as you can. She talks about how you can do anything for 60 seconds and makes me think that I can! She is always saying something positive like take it one exercise at a time, and don’t worry about what came before or what is coming next. Plus she looks amazing in her little blue sports bra and yellow shorts so if she does these exercises they can’t be bad.
Have you tried the 21 day fix challenge? What did you think of the Total Body Cardio Fix workout? Are you thinking about maybe participating? Let me know what you think in the comments I love to hear what you guys have to say.
Be Happy, Be Active, Be Healthy